Making Small Spaces Seem Bigger
January 31, 2017
We have all heard the advice not to paint a smaller room a dark color. The reason behind this is that while darker hues may be design-friendly, they may also make a room appear smaller. But, this doesn’t mean that a small room, hallway or nook needs to be bland and boring either. No need to rush out and buy all the shades of white. Instead, here are a few creative ideas to make your size-challenged room feel and look bigger than it is.
- Use Color as a Connector Instead of a Divider – Instead of painting a room a distinctly different shade than rooms connected to it or adjacent to it, consider colors that can unite all the rooms and make it feel bigger. Different colors can divide a space and make it appear smaller while coordinating shades can elongate or heighten a room when needed. Keep in mind that softer hues can make a space seem more open, but that doesn’t mean you need to stay in the white color category.
- Use Furniture Wisely – Many homeowners try to make a room feel more spacious by shoving all the furniture to the walls. Sometimes floating a sofa in a den or bed angled in the middle of a guest room can breathe air into a space and allow for flow around the furniture. Get creative about placement that allows for flow and movement.
- Use Trickery – Mirrors can make a room appear a lot bigger. The reflection can not only add some depth to a space but can also help reflect more light into the room. Use a long wall mounted mirror if space is really at a premium or smaller framed mirrors for a design element.
- Use Multi Functioning Furniture – Invest in furniture items that have more than one function such as footstools as extra seating or built in bookshelves as a storage and a display area. Finding a way to multipurpose items can mean your room can serve you in many ways.
- Go Monochromatic – Use one hue to open and expand a space. Use varying tones or textures of the same color family to make a monochromatic look that will allow all the different planes to blend into each other.
Do you have a small space that needs a new color palette or design? Call Jerry Enos Painting and we can consult with you on how to make that space come alive and feel more spacious than it is.
Categorised in: Decorating